have NONE of the emails eaten by spamgourmet

Use this forum to get help.

have NONE of the emails eaten by spamgourmet

Postby classic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Is there a way to have none of the emails that are sent to my sg/xoxy/etc email addresses eaten?

I'm so tired of spamgourmet eating emails which are legit. I would rather have all emails go through, and have me (and my cool gmail anti-spam technology) determine what is spam and what is not.

It seems that the way things work right now with SG is that we have a whitelist ("trusted senders"). Only those addresses/domains that we add to the whitelist would be kept from being eaten.
But what I want would be close to the reverse. Have a blacklist, and only those I specifically add to the blacklist would be eaten. Everything else would have free entrance to me.

Please Spamgourmet staff. If not for everyone, please do this for me.
classic

Postby josh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 pm

The "unofficial" way to do that for a particular address is to put the address itself as the "exclusive sender" for itself.

Please note that our technology model is based on all addresses expiring. If we made it easy/well known how to have a permanently forwarding address, we would have shut our doors long ago due to being overwhelmed.

Search the board for "dead man switch" for more info.
josh

Postby classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Josh,
The only reason why I want the "dead man switch" is because legitimate emails are being eaten by SG. I when I see the 3-row list of last eaten emails, I hate to have to email the sender and explain and apologize and ask for them to resend the emails. This has happened more than 6 times.

If I could have a way not to have any of my emails eaten by SG's spam-technology, I would be happy. After all, my gmail is very very good at detecting spam and filtering the right way-- not detecting false positives.
classic

Postby classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:48 pm

If I want all of my SG email addresses to bypass SG's spameater, how do I do that?

Let's say I have:

banking. USERNAME (AT) x o x y DOT NET

shopping . USERNAME (AT) s p a m g ...... DOT com

bills . USERNAME (AT) recurs... DOT net

1. Do I have to enter each email address into exclusive/trusted senders list?

OR
2. Can I just put in the domains (the stuff that goes after the @ symbol)? For example:
x o x y DOT n e t
spamgo... DOT com
rec..sor DOT n e t

OR
3) Some quicker/more efficient way?

Thank you very much.
classic

Postby classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:53 pm

josh,

I searched for "dead man's switch" in the forums.
Let me make clear, that unlike the other posters, my need is not to have more than 20 emails sent. In other words, I do not mind going to sg dot com and resetting the number when the number is close to zero.

What I would like is to have my legitimate emails NOT be considered spam by sg dot com.

When I consider list of emails eaten by SG, I don't think I've seen a real SPAM email eaten. All the emails that are eaten are either due to:

1) the sg email address has reached the 0 limit (This is a legit "eat")
2) SG wrongly thinks the email is spam (this is a bad "eat")

I don't mind if (1) keeps happening. But please, at least for me, could we have (2) stop?

Thank you.
classic

Postby josh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:10 pm

We don't do any analysis as to whether a message is spam or not - it's all determined by the count (or date, if you're going that route) and trusted/exclusive sender, or for new addresses, prefix or watchword -- so I'm not sure I get #2

Trusted sender is at the level of your entire account and uses domain style matching and only looks at the sender of a message - don't use it to try and wildcard senders, or the results will be much broader than what you probably want.

Exclusive sender is at the address level, and uses regular expression matching and looks at the recipient as well as the sender - this is where you want to put something -- you can put the entire disposable address here, or you can just put the "word" - that should work.
josh

Postby classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Josh,

Regarding (2)

Let me give a few examples.
There is an online bookstore to which I asked some questions on their webform. I put down a brand new SG address in the blank which asks for my email address.

The first email I received from them was eaten, but the 2nd and 3rd ones were not eaten.

Second example:
I signed up on a social networking site with an SG address. Yet their first and (as of yet) only email to me was eaten by SG, even though the SG address I gave to the social networking site was brand new.

I'm not sure why these things happened, since the SG addresses are nowhere close to "0". (I had them for 20.) And not sure what you mean by "date", but the time-gap between email-address creation and their sending the emails was small.

Please advise.
classic

Postby josh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 pm

you can have a date expiring address instead of a number-of-messages expiring address by using syntax like:

word.2009-08-05.spamcowboy@spamgourmet.com

(valid through Aug 5)

not sure why the first one would have been eaten on those - is this consistent with other addresses, or just these two? Can you PM me specifics?
josh

Postby classic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 pm

josh,
I've just PMed you.

BTW, thanks for the tip on date-limits on email addresses.
classic

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...