How to ask for help if your SG email stops coming

Use this forum to get help.

How to ask for help if your SG email stops coming

Postby SysKoll » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Folks,

A number of user have asked for help because their SG email stopped arriving. If you are in this case, here is what you need to do in order to get help.

What you have to do

Send a private message to Josh or me (info or syskoll). In the private message, copy the template (see below) and answer the questions.

You'll note that one of the questions is a request to perform a test. You need to use an email account OTHER THAN YOUR PROTECTED ADDRESS ACCOUNT, on a different ISP. For example, if your protected address is your home email account, send yourself a test message from your work account. The destination of that test message should be one of your disposables, one that you know should work.

Missing information will prevent us from helping you.

Terminology

* Your ACCOUNT is the name you use to log on to SG.
* A DISPOSABLE address is a address of the form someword.count.Account@domain.
* Your PROTECTED ADDRESS is the address to which SG forwards the messages you get on a disposable address.
* Your WATCHWORD and PREFIX are options defined in the Advanced tab of your SG account. We're asking you to disable them for the test email. Typos in the watchword or prefix can cause email to be eaten.

Template

Use this template to ask for help when you are not receiving emails from spamgourmet.

--- Cut hare ----
Template 1.1

* My spamgourmet account is:

* My protected address is:

* I went to my www.spamgourmet.com account and, in the Advanced tab, I disabled the Watchword enforcement, or made sure it was already disabled YES_____ NO____

* Still in the same Advanced tab, I deleted my prefix, or made sure I didn't have any prefix defined YES_____ NO____

* Then I sent myself a test message from the email ___________ to the disposable address ___________ on (date)____________

As of now, I still haven't received the test message. Please help.

--- Cut hare ----

Thank you,

--SysKoll
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby ctmidnite2 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:11 pm

This has kind of been a nightmare. I rely heavily on spamgourmet and when on the 25th they just stopped coming it was very trying.

You state that this is the template to use and give no email addresses to contact, just user names. But then you can't post a new message or private message unless you are a member. And to become a member you have to reply to an email sent to your spamgourmet address. But that's what you're having trouble with so the email never arrives for you to respond to. So you can't become a member and send the template.

Finally I fixed it myself by changing the trusted address to my gmail account.

But you really have a problem with my iowatelecom.net service provider. They just aren't passing through any email from you at all.

I'm not really complaining. Spamgourmet is the best. I use it constantly. But you do have a catch 22 with this particular problem.
Dean Lane
ctmidnite2

Postby josh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:44 am

No doubt that the bbs policy is difficult - please realize that before we locked it down, we were spending much more time removing spam messages from the bbs than we were providing support or development on spamgourmet, so as regrettable as the lockdown has been, I have to say we probably would have completely walked away from the service without it
josh

Postby ctmidnite2 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:43 am

I completely understand. But if the problem you are having is receiving your emails from spamgourmet and the only email to subscribe is your spamgourmet address then getting help isn't possible. If it hadn't worked with my gmail account I would have had to give up on spamgourmet and I love it dearly.

Sorry to bitch. I was just very frustrated for a day or so.
Dean Lane
ctmidnite2

Postby josh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:53 pm

I understand the frustration -- and I know it's a little RealPolitik to say this, but the thing that almost made you give up on spamgourmet is just the thing that kept me from giving up on it :D
josh

Postby ctmidnite2 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I just went and checked and the first address I created was 8-08-2002.

And this has been the first problem I've ever had in that time.

I don't know how you manage this site or really anything about it other than it works better than any other email on the fly site I've tried.

Keep up the good work.
Dean Lane
ctmidnite2

Re: How to ask for help if your SG email stops coming

Postby classic » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:27 pm

SysKoll wrote:You'll note that one of the questions is a request to perform a test. You need to use an email account OTHER THAN YOUR PROTECTED ADDRESS ACCOUNT, on a different ISP. For example, if your protected address is your home email account, send yourself a test message from your work account. The destination of that test message should be one of your disposables, one that you know should work.

When you say "on a different ISP", would just sending from a different webmail account be ok? Or does it really have to be from a different physical location? (IP related?)
classic

Postby josh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:48 pm

a different provider is important - it could be that your isp wrongly thinks that we're sending spam and has blocked our server - wont' matter which account you use on that service.

This is much more likely to happen during times like now, when we've recently moved the server and got a new IP address of our own.
josh

Postby user7 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Feeling newbie-ish.... Last night I hit the pm button on the 1st message above, filled out the form, even pasted in the bounced email.

That pm sits in my Outbox and not my Sentbox. So dunno if you got it? How do I "send" it?

Subject:
REQUEST: How to ask for help if your SG email stops coming SysKoll Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:02 am

Next question:

It appears SG bounced the email WITH MY PROTECTED address to the sender. This is not cool. Comments?

And thank you for providing this great service!
A Happy user for many years.
user7

Postby user7 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Fixed. Thanks!
user7

Postby noindy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:51 pm

I sent the pm with the requested information 4 days ago, but it hasn't been read. Is there something I should have done that I missed? I haven't been getting SG mail for over a month now.
noindy

Postby 1928 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:08 am

After having the problem of not getting my forwarded emails for several weeks now, I finally figured out how to get out of the Catch-22 situation of not being able to login to the forums when I am not getting my emails. I created another user in spamgourmet.com and another user in gmail.com. I set up the new SG user to forward everything to the new gmail.com account. That worked. Then I could register for the forums and send a private message in answer to the original post here. **sigh**

So, would you let us know what you are learning about the problem? Seeing any solution?

Postby Tippecanoe » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:42 am

I am not getting emails to my protected address, though it has worked for a long time.
And I cannot seem to get an email through with the template.

From my own ISP and from gmail I get something like:

I'm sorry to inform you that the message below could not be delivered.
When delivery was attempted, the following error was returned.

<syskoll@spamgourmet.com>: host gourmet7.spamgourmet.com[216.75.62.102] said:
550 incorrect format (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Am I using the wrong email or what?
Tippecanoe

Postby josh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:07 pm

Tippecanoe wrote:Am I using the wrong email or what?

yes - try using the email address you get from this page:

http://www.spamgourmet.com/contact.html
josh

Postby justs » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Could using a Spamgourmet disposable to register for the Spamgourmet Forum tear a hole in the space-time continuum?
justs

Next

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...