Spamgourmet addresses highjacked by spammers

Use this forum to get help.

Spamgourmet addresses highjacked by spammers

Postby klever » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:04 pm

I just noticed an onslaught of spam emails coming from spamgourmet email addresses I did not create but look like mine. Sure enough, I looked in my account found 14 new addresses that were created almost simultaneously. If I disable the watchword that all of these addresses use, I assume this will prevent that watchword from being used again. My question is, does it disable any legitimate spamgourmet addresses containing that watchword?
klever

Postby vellire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:03 pm

The same thing happened to me - I had 18 disposables created almost simultaneously yesterday.
vellire

Postby kevins10 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:42 am

This has been happening since at least April, Spammers obviously are becoming more and more aware of Spam Gourmet. Why they're doing this isn't so clear, as it doesn't really help them any. It may just be out of spite.

Existing addresses stay good even if the watchword is changed, you might have to manually set some of the spammer-created addresses to 0 remaining to avoid further spam through them due to this. (When this happened to me they only used each address once resulting in one back-scatter spam coming through, they haven't used any of them since according to the sent/eaten counts.)

What I'm doing now was suggested by someone else on here. I forget which thread now, but set up a watchword (or two) that are unlikely to be guessed, then just login and create an address manually when you need one. You can do that from the the link for sending an E-mail from one of your disposable addresses, just put in an address of your own as the address to send to, fill out the other info, and it'll create the address.
kevins10

Postby SysKoll » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Unfortunately, there is very little we can do about that problem. Addresses that have been created with the correct watchword must be zeroed manually.

Someone suggested to have a button for zeroing and hiding an address in the same operation. I'll be looking into that.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby sg-since03 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:44 pm

What I'm doing now was suggested by someone else on here. <etc>

That would be me...

Your summary covers it. FYI, my suggestion and the discussions that led up to it is/are here:
http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=#5190
http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.ph ... ight=#5196.

PS re:
You can do that from the the link for sending an E-mail from one of your disposable addresses, just put in an address of your own as the address to send to

If all you want to do is create an address, you can put anything with an "@" sign in the "send to" field. "a"@"b" .com, say; anything you can type quickly! :wink:
sg-since03

Postby sg-since03 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Someone suggested to have a button for zeroing and hiding an address in the same operation. I'll be looking into that.

Nice idea; perhaps you could implement it together with mine, posted in the "Updating multiple 'remaining' count easily" thread:

"Please Josh & Syskoll, add an editing interface to the address list display. You could set it "Off" by default, similar to 'Show Hidden Addresses.'"
sg-since03

poor coding

Postby Jim27106 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:18 am

Why they're doing this isn't so clear, as it doesn't really help them any. It may just be out of spite.

I suspect spammers aren't the best coders in the world. I've seen things come through with hex codes on them that looked like programming errors.

I've seen truncated addresses. One was "es-2005.sort-job.xxx@ dfgh.net" which I thought was Employment Security commission. Turns out it was the tail end of "littles-2005.sort-job.xxx@ dfgh.net" which had been on a discussion board or something like that.
Jim27106

Postby Andy_ » Mon May 07, 2012 11:32 am

Hi,

I can't understand how spammers can create disposable addresses in our accounts. Surely, they must be able to login before they can create an address!

Can someone explain?

Thanks
Andy_

Variant issue

Postby dl97 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Andy, addresses are auto-created the 1st time they receive an email, so anyone (spammer or you) can create addresses once the base/acct name is known.

Wanted to add a recent variant of this issue: Since 5/18 I've gotten spam at new addresses about once a week where they removed the 1st letter from existing addresses each time. e.g. my addy = fractalsedge ; new/spam addy = ractalsedge. Or mine = usconcealedcarry ; new/spam = sconcealedcarry

4 new addresses have been created via these means so far (I zero out the new addy as soon as they arrive). Anyone else experiencing this?
dl97

Re: Variant issue

Postby ZZ1 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 am

dl97 wrote:Andy, addresses are auto-created the 1st time they receive an email, so anyone (spammer or you) can create addresses once the base/acct name is known.

Wanted to add a recent variant of this issue: Since 5/18 I've gotten spam at new addresses about once a week where they removed the 1st letter from existing addresses each time. e.g. my addy = fractalsedge ; new/spam addy = ractalsedge. Or mine = usconcealedcarry ; new/spam = sconcealedcarry

4 new addresses have been created via these means so far (I zero out the new addy as soon as they arrive). Anyone else experiencing this?

I have this too. This way they are trying to have watchword intact in case if one is setup.
I myself would actually like an option to disable creation of new emails by user. I have been with spamgourmet for over 10 years now and i only created ~40 emails to handle my spam. What i get used to do now is temporary reopening old emails when needed.
Takes more time, sure but email database is easier to handle also
ZZ1

Re: Spamgourmet addresses highjacked by spammers

Postby leishirsute » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:28 am

Surely, it seems that spamgourmet could have some overriding switch to allow new email address creation or not.
That way we can create the addresses we want and turn off future email address creation that anyone appears to be able to create.
Watchword is an attempt but not foolproof. A setting to just stop new email address creation would be reassuring.
leishirsute

Re: Spamgourmet addresses highjacked by spammers

Postby josh » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 pm

if you put in a sole watchword like 8fe9qfjeofqewoqjfiodjaf8djq or something, that would effectively stop address creation
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...