Spamgourmet eating emails with CV attached.

Use this forum to get help.

Postby mysticturner » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:58 pm

mysticturner wrote:Sure enough. An email with a 97K document is not getting through.

Edit: I also just tried a test email with no attachment and it's not getting through either so the Denial of Service attacks may be going on right now.
A follow up on the issue. I finally got my self test email back after about 30 minutes. As far as my list that I mailed to, only got one read response back out of 15 people.
mysticturner

Postby Lancer » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:15 pm

gourmet wrote:I really wonder why.....

Thanks for your thoughts gourmet, thought I'd like to request that this thread please stay on the topic of SG outgoing emails (perhaps specifically those with attachments) not reaching their targets.
Lancer

Postby SysKoll » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:59 am

SysKoll wrote:Today I did a few quick tests. I sent messages with attachments from gmail to my sg account. Here are the resutls. "Arrived" means the spamgourmet server gets the message, "arrived" means the message is delevered to the forwarding address (I can tell the difference by looking at the logs)

*9K text attachment -- Message arrived and delivered within seconds

* 830 Kb binary attachment (a tar.gz file) -- Gmail complained that it couldn't scan file for viruses. Message received by spamgourmet, forwarded after 2 minutes, but never received in the forwarding mailbox.

* 1.6 Mb text attachment -- Message received by spamgourmet, forwarded after 15 minutes, but never received in the forwarding mailbox.

So there seem to be some very aggressive virus filtering going on that might discard any "suspicious" attachment. This filtering does not occur at the spamgourmet server but in third party ISPs (here, my sending and receiving ISPs).

The best I can do is to track messages in the logs to see if we at least received it.

Well, the two larger messages (830 Kb and 1.6 Mb attachments) finally arrived!

Relevant header for the 836 Kb message:
Code: Select all
Received: from gourmet.spamgourmet.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
   by gourmet.spamgourmet.com (8.13.8/8.13.7) with ESMTP id m5BKiO2J029594
   for ; Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:44:57 GMT
Received: (from jqh1@localhost)
   by gourmet.spamgourmet.com (8.13.8/8.13.8/Submit) id m58LnTW4031943
   for syskoll@XXXmyisp.net Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:49:29 GMT

and the header for the 1.6 Mb one:

Code: Select all
Received: from gourmet.spamgourmet.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
   by gourmet.spamgourmet.com (8.13.8/8.13.7) with ESMTP id m5BKsbfJ032583
   for ; Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:54:45 GMT
Received: (from jqh1@localhost)
   by gourmet.spamgourmet.com (8.13.8/8.13.8/Submit) id m58N2kLf015552
   for syskoll@XXXmyisp.net Sun, 8 Jun 2008 23:02:46 GM

I will scratch my head on this when I'm back in town.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Lancer » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:26 am

My test (sending the email to myself) only just arrived this morning as well. (Note: I changed details below to myname@myisp.com)

The CV I sent to myself failed to get there (apparently) but had somehow successfully redirected to me (bounced) through my SG account, and to the same (real) addy that it was claiming could not be reached.

Damn- 20 May send in your CV... 12 Jun find it never makes it to them. :?

The original message was received at Tue, 20 May 2008 05:06:27 GMT
from jqh1@localhost

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
myname@myisp.com
(expanded from: myname@myisp.com)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
451 myisp.com: Name server timeout
Message could not be delivered for 5 days
Message will be deleted from queue

Reporting-MTA: dns; gourmet.spamgourmet.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 05:06:27 GMT

Final-Recipient: RFC822; myname@myisp.com
Action: failed
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:19:42 GMT

Looks like SG or thereabouts kicked in our emails through some kind of bottleneck at the same time?
Lancer

Postby Jim27106 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:38 am

gourmet wrote:I really wonder why people are using temporary spamgourmet addresses for critical use like that.

But what if I change ISP? SpamGourmet made my life a lot easier the last time I did an ISP change.

gourmet wrote:How often you have received spam from your employer? I really hope that answer is never ever.

Naturally it gives great impression from applicant too.

shittyjob321..... etc... ;)

I'm glad I used a special SG address with Monster. I got lots of silly job "opportunities" (similar to envelop stuffing - whatever the shady job of the year was back in 2005.

When I've talked to a real person about a position I email them directly from my ISP account. I think Spam Gourmet sometimes run a little slow on large attachments. I also think Spam Gourmet runs lightning fast compared to how much I donate. On the top of my resume I use an email address from my alma mater. A nifty way to say I went to college. (I have a forward from there to my current ISP address.)
Jim27106

Well, I just lost another job because of this problem.

Postby Lancer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 am

Company contacted me to say a deadline was tight and could I email a design to work from today. I sent an email with speedily made designs several hours ago. Company says they haven't got them yet and are getting someone else to make the logo.

So, I'm losing serious employment chances from this problem. Is SpamGourmet on top of it? Aside from freelancing, I'm currently unemployed.
Lancer

Previous

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...