Spamgourmet ate my subject line

Use this forum to get help.

Spamgourmet ate my subject line

Postby PaulBx1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:44 am

I have all my email list subscriptions going through spamgourmet now. I have no problem responding to list posts, but am a little shaky on initiating posts to a list.

I thought I'd just respond to any post I got from the list, but clean out the content and subject line so it's like a new post.

Last time I tried that, it got sent as expected. However I had put "OT (maybe): Huckabee and the NEA" on the subject line; when I received that message back from the list the subject line was "[ORSig] OT".

Is this not a good way to initiate a thread on a list? Do I have to go back to using "send a message from one of your disposable addresses"?
PaulBx1

Postby SysKoll » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:11 pm

I believe we have an option that you can use to make sg leave your subject lines alone. Let me check the forum.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:35 pm

Without knowing the details of the mailing list software, it's hard to say whether stripping the subject line is a good way to initiate a new thread (and I have to say, I don't know what [ORsig] means).

When you sent the "reply" that you intended to be the start of a new thread, did it start a new thread? Sounds like no? Probably, the mailing list software keeps its own header information (which you can't see) and looks at that instead of the subject line, and so you can't really affect things by clearing the subject line.

Syskoll and I are chatting about this now, he reminded me that you can go to the website *once*, and get a "redirection" address (using the "send a message from one of your disposables" function) that allows you to send to the mailing list, then save that in your address book and use it whenever you want to start a new thread -- you don't need to go back to the spamgourmet website, for that list later, because that redirection address will keep working for new messages/threads that you want to send/start.
josh

Postby SysKoll » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:07 pm

To elaborate on Josh's post: Go to the advanced tab, use the "send message from a disposable", enter the diffusion address of the mailing list as the target; From that point on, you can email to that disposable and it will forward to the mailing list, while masking your real address. I use that technique successfully on my mailing lists.

Oh, and most list servers use the "In-Reply-To" tag (in the SMTP headers) to identify threads, so that they appear properly sorted in list-aware mail readers like Mutt. So changing the subject will result in an attempt to steal the thread, which is frowned upon. So don't do that.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...