Mail is getting eaten, but can't change the address setting

Use this forum to get help.

Mail is getting eaten, but can't change the address setting

Postby mark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:10 pm

I've got one particular SG address that all mail is getting eaten. The problem is that this address no longer appears in my list of addresses,
so I can't reset the remaining count.

I know this is a valid address, since I remember creating it.
Normally you can click on the link in the eaten message box and get taken directly to the address to make changes, but in this case it
isnt clickable (because it apparently doesnt exist). But clearly SG knows it does exist, otherwise why would it show as an eaten message?

Can you help me out?

BTW, Spamgourmet is great! I've been using it for years and rely
on it daily. Thanks for such a great service!
mark

Postby josh » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:33 am

is the address "hidden"?
josh

Postby mark » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Nope, not hidden. If I search all of my addresses, including hidden ones, it doesn't appear in the list.
mark

Postby SysKoll » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Can you please PM your account details to "info" or to me? Also include a text copy (copy and paste) of the table that says "Here is some info about your last 3 eaten message(s)" in the advanced tab.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby mark » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:27 pm

Any update on this? I PM'd you the info you requested a few days ago
mark

Postby SysKoll » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 pm

Mark,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I looked at the database and indeed, there is no "remotecentral" disposable in your addresses. Yet do have the eaten message log. I am trying to make sense of that and I just plain don't understand.

I assume that emails addressed to your remotecentral disposable never get to you. Correct?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby mark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:08 pm

That's correct. I never receive the emails. I'm wondering if this could somehow be related to watchword enforcement?
I currently have it enabled, and have 2 watchwords, but the remotecentral address was created before I added any watchwords.
I've enabled and disabled watchword enforcement a few times, so wonder if that could somehow have messed up the addresses in the database.

Coincidentally, I just noticed another eaten email to "dnet" with the same problem. Here's the info from the log

date (UTC) from to
2007-09-21 12:21 indira.danby@webstuff.dk dnet

Thanks for your help,

Mark
mark

Postby SysKoll » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:36 pm

Ah, that's why. Now I understand. Considering you don't have the remotecentral disposable in your addres list, the system looks at the incoming email as a new address creation attempt and applies your watchword rules. The incoming email lacks the watchword so it gets eaten.

Now that you have the watchword, the emails sent to remotecentral need the watchword to be included or they won't get created, and you won't received any of the remotecentral messages.

Turn off watchwords.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby mark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:22 pm

But... I don't want to turn off watchwords, as I've had numerous SG addresses made up by spammers in the past.

I guess I don't understand how the remotecentral address disappeared from the database in the first place. Turning on watchwords shouldn't delete non-watchword addresses from the database, should it? If it did, that would make alot of my older addresses invalid.

If I turn off watchwords temporarily, that should allow the remotecentral address to be recreated in the database. Then I should be able to turn watchwords back on, right?
mark

Postby mark » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Just to follow up.....

I turned off watchwords and sent a message to my remotecentral address. This re-added it to the database. I was then able to turn watchwords back on, and send another message to remotecentral, and this time it went through ok.

Still curious to know how some of my addresses disappeared from the database. Anyhow thanks for the help.
mark

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...