SMTP won't reply to spamgourmet emails.

Use this forum to get help.

SMTP won't reply to spamgourmet emails.

Postby soma » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:03 pm

After years of using spamgourmet, I now getting this error on any reply I make using reply address masking:

Error : Error in sending message
An error was reported in response to a recipient address. The SMTP server may refuse to handle mail for unknown recipients.

:( Is this the end? Please help me if you can but it looks like I can no longer disguise my reply address which basically means I can't use spamgourmet usefully anymore because companies will just snag my real address when I reply. Can you imagine all the email addresses I'll have to update if I'm forced to stop using sg?
soma

Postby josh » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:35 pm

can you PM the whole error message email?
josh

Postby soma » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:34 pm

There is no email. This is what the SMTP server spits back. I can't send any replies because of "unknown addresses"
soma

Postby SysKoll » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:45 pm

We need more info to diagnose. Send in a PM if needed.

What ISP are you using? What client? How do you get the error message? What masked reply address did you use when you got the error?

Maked reply addresses work fine for me.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby grooveeo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:23 pm

same here too. I have an hotmail account and neither outlook nor the webinterface is accepting these mails anymore.
In outlook it gives me the error message

Fehler (0x8DE00006) beim Ausf?hren der Aufgabe. "emailaddress@hotmail.com - Nachrichten werden gesendet": "Fehler beim Ausf?hren der Operation."

Which means "error while executing the task - messages are being send - error while executing the operation

to me it seems that the syntax with # is not accepted by the smtp
grooveeo

Postby louis0815 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:59 am

grooveeo wrote:to me it seems that the syntax with # is not accepted by the smtp

syntax with # :?:

Are you referring to the sender directive as mentioned in the FAQ? Then you should use a "+" or the word "sender" instead.....
Eat a live toad the first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
louis0815

Postby grooveeo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:08 am

When trying to send e-mails via spamgourmet it gives me an adress like this, which is not accepted by the webserver:

+thesender+myusername+b3cd416dcd3.user# ... ourmet.com
grooveeo

Postby josh » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:18 pm

Which mail server is refusing this? Not ours.

The address form is compliant with the RFC that establishes the validity of email addresses. Either the standard has changed (and nobody told me) or the SMTP server that's refusing the address is not RFC compliant.

Please let me know the IP address of the refusing server, if possible.
josh

Postby grooveeo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:53 pm

actually the hotmail server is refusing it. I'm using outlook 2007 (which keeps giving me the error message stated above) and hotmail.com (which is refusing the address from being sent -> syntax error). I'm not quite sure if it's really the server but at least it did work in the past, and since microsoft switched their hotmail interface they made some other changes as well. Now i can't reply and i can't send any mails via spamgourmet servers.
grooveeo

Postby josh » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:30 pm

I don't suppose you've logged a support request with hotmail? I'm not sure how responsive they'd be -- from the sound of it, they're out of RFC compliance, though.

It wouldn't be easy to changes things on this side (both in practical terms and otherwise, since we'd essentially be cowtowing to MS's refusal to follow standard internet protocols) -- for our system to work, the destination address has to be inside the redirection address, and the # sign is traditionally reserved for this sort of use -- sort of a secondary @ sign. As you can imagine, the RFC prevents you from using two @ signs, and there aren't any other characters that have been treated the same way as # generally -- that is, as far as I can tell, other legal characters occur naturally in email addresses and therefore would confuse the code.
josh

Postby grooveeo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:49 pm

hmm alright, too bad
but thx 4 info
grooveeo

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...