Address creation issue, I made two identical addresses

Use this forum to get help.

Address creation issue, I made two identical addresses

Postby crusti » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:06 pm

I made two identical addresses.

When I show my list of addresses, I have two identical addresses
prefix.word.account@domain.com
but in one instance the prefix word is "prefix.word" and in the other the prefix word is just "prefix".

Because I misinterpreted the use of the middle word in the address creation pattern:
[prefix].[word].[account]@[domain.com]
I thought we could start using a dot (.) in the prefix.

I can't recall exactly how I got these identical addresses, but I probably would have typed into the prefix field "prefix.word" and probably left the word field blank on that particular address.
For the second address, I probably used "prefix" in the prefix field and "word" in the word field as one would expect.

I also have an address prefix.suffix.word.account@domain.com because I entered "prefix.suffix" for the prefix and added a "word" for the counter initializer.

Any thoughts on what this means or if it will cause confusion?

crusti
crusti

Postby josh » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:53 pm

here's how the logic works, depending on the number of dot-separated elements:

if there are two, then the first is the "word" and the second is the "user" and the default number is used.

if there are three then the first is the "word", the second is the "number" (regardless of whether it's a number), and the third is the "user"

if there are four, then the first is the "prefix", the second is the "word", the third is the "number", and the fourth is the "user" - and note that the prefix is ignored if the "word" already exists in the database.

if there are more than four, then the ones in the front would be ignored, I think - actually haven't tested that too much.
josh

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...