recent troubles?

Use this forum to get help.

Re: recent troubles?

Postby Clewby » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:12 am

Just got an email that arrived on "Mon, 29 Aug 2022 00:16:54" that was sent on "Wed, 24 Aug 2022 23:33:34" to a neverbox address (timezone information removed), but maybe the sender queued it up. Other expected (regular status) email to neverbox has vanished.

It bothers me that I'm so dependent on the ephemeral domain. It is nice (many thanks to those who noticed the issue, determined the problem, and to Josiah for renewing the domain) that it has been renewed, but worrying that we are dependent on something that, by design, regularly expires, and is dependant on a working payment mechanism (credit and debit cards expire also).

How can we as a community (I am deliberately and specifically not saying Josiah should be solving the issues on his own) do better here: have an early warning so many of us can raise a hue and cry before problems makes themselves known?

I know there are many who want to help: how can we enable this resource to keep things going, and maybe even make minor improvements?

Clewby
Clewby

Postby michaeldlr » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi Clewby

I think the current "right place" for finding things to do is the issues list in the GitHub project. For your particular issue we really need a service which

• has a sending email address and a receiving address (might be the same)
  • has a spamgourmet account which forwards to the recieving address
  • has (at least one) address which is set up to accept the mails from the sending address as an exclusive sender
  • sends emails to a bunch of addresses (one on each spamgourmet domain), containing a unique string
  • checks that it gets those emails arriving
  • records and maintains statistics about mail loss and time delay of mails
  • gives a warning somewhere when mails stop getting delivered

There's already a ticket in the issue tracker for this; we'd definitely help and support anyone who wanted to get started contributing code and working on setting something like this up.
michaeldlr

Postby lwc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:20 pm

This particular issue also needs a check for nearby expiring domains, I've added this to GitHub.
lwc

Postby JFK » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:33 pm

It still seems, that dfgh.net is expiring in about a week (= beginning of November)[according to namecheap]...

Can you fix it??
Last edited by JFK on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JFK

Postby JFK » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:52 pm

Maybe a different problem:

Until 2-3 hours ago I got several error messages, while trying to sent from and to sg addresses:

"Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

5.0.0 smtp; 550-X-Host-Lookup-Failed: Reverse DNS lookup does not match for 77.75.78.xxxxxx (deferred)
Permanent Failure - Other or Undefined Status"

At the moment, it seems that it does work again.
But maybe it is a problem of my email provider and not of SG.
JFK

Postby lwc » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:34 am

JFK wrote:It still seems, that dfgh.net is expiring in about a week (= beginning of November)[according to namecheap]...

Nice catch, I've added it to an existing ticket in GitHub (I gave a screenshot from this domain's registar Google Domains) - we have to fix this once and for all.
lwc

Postby michaeldlr » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:45 am

This may be problematic. The domain dfgh.net seems to be an exception which is not registered in the normal way. Admins have not been able to find where dfgh.net is registered yet. Investigating. If anyone has some historical memories about it that might help. More to be reported soon.
michaeldlr

Postby lwc » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:46 am

michaeldlr wrote:This may be problematic. The domain dfgh.net seems to be an exception which is not registered in the normal way. Admins have not been able to find where dfgh.net is registered yet. Investigating. If anyone has some historical memories about it that might help. More to be reported soon.

What do you mean? I've mentioned it's registered in Google Domains.
Since it's Google, it's most likely late Josh's Gmail address.
lwc

Postby michaeldlr » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:05 am

Unfortunately, we believe that it's not on Josh's account. It was set up with a connection to spamgourmet by an outside supporter long ago.

@lwc, I have sent you a PM. Please do get in touch.
michaeldlr

Postby lwc » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:25 pm

lwc wrote:
JFK wrote:It still seems, that dfgh.net is expiring in about a week (= beginning of November)[according to namecheap]...

Nice catch, I've added it to an existing ticket in GitHub (I gave a screenshot from this domain's registar Google Domains) - we have to fix this once and for all.

I'm glad to say looks like an unknown person renewed it at the last moment for 1 more year.
Attachments
renewed.png
renewed.png (29.51 KiB) Viewed 12371 times
lwc

Previous

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...