Do the logo and website suck?

A place for polls.

Does the logo/website suck?

yes, scrap the whole thing and start over.
8%
no, leave it alone.
50%
there should be a logo contest.
33%
site is good except for colors.
3%
site is good except for lay-out.
8%

Total votes : 40

Do the logo and website suck?

Postby josh » Sat May 15, 2004 7:06 pm

I designed the website completely by myself and I have to admit that I've never considered myself a good web designer (neither has anyone else). I know it could be ergonomically better -- eg, multiple edits to addresses, etc. -- but this poll is just about overall presentation.

Recently, a friend of mine asked about re-doing the site (and now I can't get ahold of him) so I got to thinking:

1) the most earnest and unanswerable complaints about spamgourmet have to do with the general look/branding aspects of it

2) I've had the feeling that media coverage of spamgourmet is adversely affected as compared to services with more professional looking sites

3) I've had several people say they'd love to buy a t-shirt or mug, but refuse to because they consider the logo to be hideous

What do you think?
josh

Postby josh » Wed May 19, 2004 6:39 pm

By the way, a redesign of the site (and logo) is currently underway.
josh

Postby prolixity » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:46 am

will the site retain it's cool retro graphics style?
prolixity

Postby josh » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:13 pm

I think so. Here's the artist's website:

http://www.nakedgremlin.com

his latest words on the subject:

"The design is slowly coming together and
looks to be filled with streamlined retro fun."

(note the conspicuous use of the word 'retro')
josh

Postby melc » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:16 pm

Yea, I think the logo has to go because the boy actually looks a little freaky. I'd also consider buying gear from the store if the logo looked nicer. But I like futuristic more than retro though. Just a personal preference =).
melc

Postby cold-steel » Mon May 16, 2005 12:08 am

a more comfortable interface would be nice. That spam-eating-freaky-boy-graphics doesn't bother me too much. But nice to here that an update is underway.
cold-steel

too creepy

Postby ecto » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:54 pm

1 vote for a new logo. I'll pledge a $20 donation for a logo change!
ecto

Post subjetct:

Postby server » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Today I started from scratch on www.spamgourmet.com. The whole thing looks like it is run by just a handful of people or less. (My respect and thanks to the team!) The team-link is listing people who translated and some developers but where are the sysadmins?

Now, a few hours later, I guess there are only a handful of people and there is only one server. Wow, compliments for getting this far and even for existing this long.

Since the whole spam strategy is to "just delete it", I figure, even if the "team" will get sick or if the server ever crashes badly, so what.

Where am I going? If SG (took me a while to figure this one out) is a useful and small service, the design might well reflect it. Keep it up! If you present yourselfs too professionally, people will expect more: Better documentation, more customer service, keeping stuff, so they can click "undo", ...

I believe when you say logo, you mean the boy with the sirup and the pancakes? Far too untidy to even qualify as a logo. On my notebook it looks very pixely and ugly.

Compare it to the woman on top of the address list in nerd-mode: That is a crisp black and white image which still fits your overal style. This is still somewhat too complex for a logo, but much better than the boy.

And another thought: I always believed that a gourmet actually likes food. But people here generally seem to hate spam. What is the concept? The boy is actually a robot or some monster and he is eating our spam on our behalf? Child abuse? What is the link between pancakes and spam? Might be obvious to Americans, but I am not (maybe).

When is the logo contest launched? When 1 mio people have voted in favour? Or 25% of the 247,583 user accounts? Somebody has offered 20$, so I am ready to submit my ideas.

So far for testing this forum; my first post.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
server

Return to Polls