CVS cleanup?

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

CVS cleanup?

Postby delfuego » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Having used and been a fan of SpamGourmet for some time now, I decided to take the leap and install my own setup. I got it up and running in about two or three hours, but I have to say, it's not for the faint of heart! I have one major suggestion I'd like to throw out there -- a cleanup of the CVS, disposing of (or archiving in a clear manner) the files that have been superceded by later versions in other locations.

For example, in CVS, there are two different SQL files for setting up the database, one at the spamgourmet root (spamgourmet.sql) and one in the conf subdirectory (db.sql). Only by diffing the two and seeing that the one at the root contains one additional column could I tell that that was the one most likely to be current. Likewise, there are two dialogs.sql files (one in each of the same locations); looking at the check-in dates tells me that the one at the root is likely to be the more current one.

Would it be possible to go through and nuke/archive all of the files that are similarly confusing? My list, which is likely not complete (I've marked the one I think is more current with an asterisk):

- spamgourmet.sql* vs. conf/db.sql
- dialogs.sql* vs. conf/dialogs.sql
- spamgourmet.config* vs. conf/spamgourmet.config
- mailhandler/spameater* vs. mailhandler/spameater.pl

In a similar, but not identical, vein, there's a file at web/index.pl that wants to be the main DocumentRoot for the web installation, but it thinks (via a config directive) that it's disposableemail.pl. Might it be worthwhile to either move it there, or to change the script so that it thinks it's at index.pl?
delfuego

Postby josh » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:43 am

eek - you're right, it's awful. That'll be next.
josh

Postby josh » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:54 pm

I took the opportunity to start using subversion instead. I did a clean-ish checking of the main spamgourmet stuff, but haven't yet done captchasrv or addressscrambler.
josh

Return to Developers