Perl Milter

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

Perl Milter

Postby maratheamit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:02 am

Gist of email from Josh to Amit:
It seems to me that the best thing we could to is to focus on getting the Perl::Milter implementation up and running because that would possibly remove a great deal of overhead.

It looks like the Perl::Milter module required multithreaded perl -- we've got that on the test machine, but not the prod machine.

Also, it looks like you can't install Perl::Milter using MCPAN, because the Makefile.PL script requires access to sendmail libs (maybe source, I can't remember) -- that's where I left off when I was last working on it.
Last edited by maratheamit on Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
maratheamit

Postby maratheamit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:04 am

I was able to install Sendmail::Milter on the test machine. Haven't tested it as yet. Before I can do that, I need to setup my environment on the test server.
maratheamit

Postby maratheamit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:53 pm

I was able to setup the site but cannot log in. http://a.com/index.pl
You will need a local entry in your /etc/hosts for the above link to work.

Any idea what is happening?
maratheamit

Postby josh » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:18 pm

oh. that makes sense. I guess I really hadn't though about the web interface, but it is key :)
josh

Postby maratheamit » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:55 pm

I can now run milter scripts on the test server. It is using Sendmail::PMilter because Sendmail::Milter wasn't working properly and is not being maintained.

It would be a bad idea to move all processing into the milter script as that would make SG sendmail-specific. So what I propose is to use the milter to discard recepient addresses which have already expired. That itself should remove a big load from the server.
maratheamit

Postby josh » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:26 am

Amit -- wow -- great news! I was thinking we could continue to modularize the sg code, then have a basic controller routine that would be small enough to maintain both in Milter and as a standalone. Does that make sense? More work, of course.
josh

Postby maratheamit » Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:20 pm

Makes sense. Let me think along those lines. In the meantime, can you install all the necessary software on the production machine? We need:
Perl with -Dusethreads
Sendmail with -DMILTER
Sendmail::Milter and Sendmail::PMilter
Last edited by maratheamit on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maratheamit

Postby SysKoll » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:42 am

Josh,

I know it's been hectic, but did you get around these installs? Since our goal is Milters, this seems to be an important prereq.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to Developers