Foreigh translations of help files?

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

Foreigh translations of help files?

Postby SysKoll » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:13 pm

Josh,

We have a volunteer for redoing the spanish translation (see http://bbs.spamgourmet.com/viewtopic.php?t=41). Myself, I'd like to redo the French translation that can use improvements. What are the files containing these texts? Where are they?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby maratheamit » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:09 pm

I believe the translations are stored in the database, in the dialogs table. We should move away from that design (it is not very flexible) are go with text resource files. Does anyone know of a good perl package for that purpose?
maratheamit

Postby josh » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:37 am

Could we just use xml files and some xml parser package (expat? I'm really not sure)?

(Currently, the web code keeps a pipe-delimited file cache of the dialogs that gets refreshed every 30 seconds if the version has incremented.)

In keeping with the goals of making one or more easily deployable web GUI front ends (PHP Nuke module, etc.), the more standardized, the better...
josh

XML message formatting

Postby SysKoll » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:51 am

Josh,

We can use whatever XML parsers. There are plenty. First, what do you want to do? I tend to favor an incremental approach.

At first, I'd like to rewrite the doc without changing the web interface code. We could just change the way we produce the dialog files. Instead of editing them directly, we could create XML files with the dialogs in several languages, then run a parser on these XML files to produce the same dialog files as we have today. The parser can be written in Perl and should be run (once after each change of the XML files) to compile the XML files into dialogs.

Later on, we could change the web code to read these XML files directly.

What do you think? Comments?
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby ebuleheb » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:40 am

Can someone give an estimation on how much a new translation of the whole thing would take (hours)? And also the total size of the input text (KB or lines).
ebuleheb

Postby SysKoll » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:23 pm

ebuleheb wrote:Can someone give an estimation on how much a new translation of the whole thing would take (hours)? And also the total size of the input text (KB or lines).

It took me abouth three hours. The size is about 4 to 6 kilobytes all inclusive.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby ebuleheb » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:08 pm

That's a LOT lower than I expected. I'll do a Turkish translation if you (developers) want. I can't promise for the finisihing time but it can't be too long.
ebuleheb

Postby josh » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:34 pm

ebuleheb,
Send a message to the main info address and let me know what your spamgourmet account is. 3 hours is definitely a record :shock: but hopefully it won't be too bad
josh

New phrasing of English confirmation message

Postby SysKoll » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:26 am

I am still experimenting with better explanations and clearer versions of our pages and messages. Some beta-tester told me the English confimation message (sent to confirm a forwarding address change) wasn't very clear about the purpose of the message. So I rephrased it a tad. What do you think? Josh, if you like it, you'll have to put it in the English version of confirmationmessage.txt template.

The new version of the message:
---
You asked Spamgourmet to forward your emails to the address <%newaddress%>.
You must confirm. To confirm, either:

* Click on the URL <%url%>
(or paste it into your browser address bar and press Enter)

* Or just reply to this email -- make sure you leave the URL in the reply.

If you received this message unexpectedly, it's because someone entered your
address in Spamgourmet by mistake.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby josh » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:15 pm

That looks good - I've been asked to put the URL first in the message, since it was getting cut off for SMS users. The other thing is that I'd really rather them click on the link than reply, since there's notautomated mechanism for that (read: *I * click on the link :) ), but I agree that's much better. I'll work it in.

Not knowing French, but looking at the French front page, it looks like it's giving instructions in step form?
josh

French instructions

Postby SysKoll » Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:10 pm

Not knowing French, but looking at the French front page, it looks like it's giving instructions in step form?

Yes, after feedback from the French reviewers, I have rewritten the French text so that it's clearer. The 3-step approach was deemed easier to understand.

As soon as the 8-bit transcoding bug in the confirmation message is fixed, I'll give you an English version of the 3-step explanation so that you can put it in the English pages if you want.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to Developers