test server, new version, etc.

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

test server, new version, etc.

Postby josh » Sat May 15, 2004 6:32 pm

I think the test server is back up, but I haven't logged into it much. I lost some progress I had made toward handling that multipe-recip problem (it wasn't solved, necessarily), but that should be easy enough to rewrite.

Does it make sense to drive toward a new "version" and include a declared list of fixes/features in it?

If so, the fix that's coming to mind would be the multiple recip thing -- was there another one?

For features, here's where I'm at:
1) more modularization -- add a "message" object/interface, and move the current header parsing out of the main code so that it returns a "message" object with parsed headers. For Mail::Audit, we can wrap their stuff in our interface.

2) add a "user" level default for number of messages, if unspecified.

3) use the system or user default number instead of zero for messages that arrive with a "+" or a "*" (so they're not immediately shut off to non-exlusive senders)

[I'm sure there were others...]
josh

Postby josh » Sat May 15, 2004 7:49 pm

btw, I installed CVS, and I set up the three domains:

syskoll.xoxy.net
amit.xoxy.net
josh.xoxy.net

to forward to our user accounts -- I got mail through to mine, so I think they'll work. What remains is to do the sg set up for each of us.

Should we share a database? The website? or should these be independent?

Syskoll, did you set up mysql? Can you email me with how to get into it (mysql root pw) to set up a database?

Josh
josh

Postby SysKoll » Sat May 15, 2004 9:13 pm

I didn't setup mySQL.

Add another feature: the throttling.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby maratheamit » Sun May 16, 2004 3:49 am

I installed mysql on the test server today. The root password for mysql is in the /tmp/mysql.txt file.

We can share the database instance but I think we should have our own databases for testing.
Likewise, we can share the web server but the individual websites should be independent.
maratheamit

Postby maratheamit » Sun May 16, 2004 4:59 pm

I noticed that ssh sessions on the test server are terminated after only 15-20 minutes of inactivity. That was getting very annoying so I added the parameters ClientAliveInterval and ClientAliveCountMax to sshd_config.
maratheamit

Postby josh » Mon May 17, 2004 4:23 pm

cool -- I work on getting the web server set up. Should we each try to install the system on our accounts? That might flush out installation idiosyncrasies that I'm missing.
josh

Postby SysKoll » Mon May 17, 2004 4:38 pm

Josh,

I am all for understanding how to install the web server on my own. However, this means the test web server will run with our user ID -- which implies it need to access only its own database instance. Is that OK?

I am a tad swamped right now, I won't have time to perform the install right away. I suggest you outline the necessary installation steps for Amit and me. I'll do my best to follow these steps.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby maratheamit » Mon May 17, 2004 5:47 pm

I have already setup my sandbox on the test server. You can access it at http://amit.xoxy.net

I also checked in a install.txt file into cvs that outlines the high-level steps that I took in the process. That file should be pretty usable for SG developers but will need to be more detailed for others.
maratheamit

Postby josh » Mon May 17, 2004 8:59 pm

Ok - I'm set up too. I noticed that I had to put the symlink in /etc/smrsh in my .forward file instead of the actual script -- maybe we've got a different version of smrsh. Anyway, works now. I added index.pl to sourcesafe -- I really thought it was already in there. There's a "stuff" directory, too, with a bunch of images, etc. in it. I thought that was in CVS, too, but I don't see it.

Amit, where did you get the "stuff"?
josh

Postby maratheamit » Tue May 18, 2004 2:01 am

I had saved a tarball from the test server before the disk crash.That's where I got the files to setup my sandbox.

I took the liberty of checking everything into CVS. There must be many files that are not really necessary and others that are missing. We can fix that as we go along.

A few more things:
1. index.pl is duplicated in the web and web/html directories. The one in web/ can be removed (since the webroot is web/html).
2. Other files are duplicated in modules/Mail/Spamgourmet and in modules/WebStuff. Josh, do you know which of these files can be removed?
3. I would like to get rid of the production directory. The proper way to develop the code is to run the production site from a CVS checkout. Before a release, we can create a CVs branch, a copy of which can be checked out on the production server.
4. Josh, can you post the Apache config from the production machine? I got amit.xoxy.net running with a VirtualHost section and a Directory section in httpd.conf but did you had a more compact configuration on the old test server which did not involve the Directory section?
maratheamit

Postby josh » Wed May 19, 2004 6:37 pm

I think I screwed up CVS by doing commits in directories other than the root directory. I'll clean it up soon. For some reason, my CVS client stopped working yesterday, but hopefully I'll have that fixed soon.

We can get rid of the production folder.

I don't even have access to the apache config on the production web server -- it's running on another box. I think your way is fine, though.
josh

Return to Developers