new server

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

new server

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:45 pm

By: jqh1 ( Josiah Hamilton )
new server
2003-06-28 10:44
After researching a bit (not too much), I'm going with a rental server from Hurricane Electric. They're more expensive than many alternatives, but I've grown accustomed to the service level they provide. They found me a bargain server, too. It'll still be about 20 times as expensive as it was, but I think we can swing it.

The main thing that scares me is that they were previously monitoring only http and ftp traffic, and I never came close to exceeding any threshold they set. Now, they'll me measuring all tcp traffic, and so I'm a little spooked. They're aware of the issue, though.

I'm planning on moving the service as soon as they finish setting up and provide me with access to the new box. I have a pretty good idea of how to do it without interruption, but we'll see...

OK, here's the colossal f-up part. I'm using the system crypt() function for one-way encrypting user passwords, even though we've been using MD5, etc. for other stuff. I tried a mock migration to another server, and behold, the local crypt function yielded different results. I'm still a little hopeful about the new server, since I think it will have a similar kernel to the old one, but there's still the distinct possiblity that the users will no longer be able to log in (don't panic, there's only 34000 of them...). I hastily added an auto password reset function to the web page (currently active) that may become a heavily used feature very soon. Anyway, I'll let you all know how that goes.

By: maratheamit ( Amit Marathe )
RE: new server
2003-06-30 09:53
You are right. If they start to measure SMTP traffic then we will be in trouble as more and more users sign up for the service. Do you know what monthly/weekly limits they place on bandwidth?

Something to consider in this regard is running a mail transfer agent which can be configured to reject messages based on the destination address. With such a setup we should be able to drastically cut down on the bandwidth used. I don't know if sendmail can do what we want (lookup a given address in the DB and determine whether it has expired) but it seems as if Exim (http://www.exim.org) can do that.

-- Amit

Return to Developers