New hosting provider?

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

New hosting provider?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:45 pm

By: maratheamit ( Amit Marathe )
New hosting provider?
2003-06-26 11:50
Josh, any update on this. You had noticed connections being dropped a few months back because of the load on the current system and were considering a switch from Hurricane Electric.

-- Amit

By: jqh1 ( Josiah Hamilton )
RE: New hosting provider?
2003-06-26 13:39
Yeah, After the apparent DOS attack earlier this week, I'm pretty much on the poo list right now, and I have to move very soon -- by tomorrow, really. I'm talking to Hurricane Electric about a dedicated host -- expensive, but good.

I noticed Interland (interland.com) has some offerings for much, much cheaper, but I don't know much about them.

Do you all have any suggestions?

2003-06-26 13:46
as a follow up -- I did implement db connection waiting and used a fallback that would increase the sleep time as the wait loop progressed. I haven't dropped a message since then... Semi-random waiting would probably be better...

But, as noted above, hurricane would probably rather I dropped the messages :) -- I though the perl sleep function would put the thread into WAIT (and maybe it does), but I do tend see a bunch of spameater processes in top, each taking, say 1.7% CPU.

Daemon is definitely the way to go, and we'll be able to do that very soon!

2003-06-26 14:03
[sheepish grin] yes, this is the infamous spam haven, Interland -- if not for that, it looks pretty good. I know the whole range of IP addresses is probably RBL'ed all over the place, so maybe it's not a good idea for that reason alone...

2003-06-26 14:07
Earlier you had pointed out http://www.johncompanies.com as they had a special offer for open source projects. That deal still exists but it will be a virtual server (rather than a dedicated one).

-- Amit

2003-06-26 14:16
On a side note: what are the details on the DOS attack this week? i.e. do you know how they tried to deny service?

-- Amit

2003-06-26 15:37
Yeah, I got a little shy about the John Companies deal -- I think I'd probably wind up in the same mess I'm in now.

As for the attack, I was looking at the sendmail logs on the server that handles xoxy.net (forward the mail to the main sg server), and during the peak time I saw 12+ messages/second coming in for a particular user, with "words" that appeared to be coming from a dictionary list. It seemed like an effort to over-inflate the database with disposable email address records (but it didn't work :) )

Return to Developers