Mail::Audit changes

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:42 pm

By: maratheamit ( Amit Marathe )
2003-01-09 09:43
Hi Guys,

The last few weeks have been busy for me because of the holidays and other work. But that seems to be over, at least for now...

Anyway, I think we should move the latest SG code into production. It has the Mail::Audit changes and the longer we delay this step the more difficult it is going to be for me to debug any issues. A copy of that code is already running no test.spamgourmet.net where I have run some elementary tests on it. Josh, on that note, let me know if you have any previous test plans which you want me to go through before the production release.

-- Amit

By: jqh1 ( Josiah Hamilton )
RE: Mail::Audit changes
2003-01-09 12:01
I'm all for that. I'll probably work on it this weekend. I'll probably try to do some comparative CPU load benchmark testing on the test server, but I don't imagine there'll be a noticeable difference (maybe less load because of the socket send?)

After a week or two of production, we can do another release.

Josh

2003-01-10 14:33
Sounds good. You will have to install the Mail::Audit package before the new script can be run. Let me know if you face any problems there or if you need any other help.

-- Amit

2003-01-12 13:48
Amit, I've slapped the Mail::Audit pkg in place, but I keep getting the error:

Illegal character \015 (carriage return) at Mail/Internet.pm line 7.
(Maybe you didn't strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Mail/Audit.pm line 18.

I've tried stripping \015 from that file without success. Is there a more involved process I should be using?

2003-01-13 07:51
How did you install the package? I faced a similar problem initially, but then I was trying to ftp files from my Windows machine to test.spamgourmet.net. The solution was to do the transfer in ASCII and not binary.

Another approcah might be to untar the package at the destination machine itself...

-- Amit

2003-01-13 15:12
I was using sftp transfer from dev to production. I'll try setting ascii mode (although I don't think I've done that before with sftp). Failing that, I'll get the archive. You just need the Mail and auto base folders, right?

2003-01-16 17:30
Amit,

Still having trouble with the modules. It seems that the files I can't get to work aren't present in the Mail-Audit-2.1.tar archive - rather they're from Mail::Internet and Mail::Mailer -- I couldn't find these on cpan, at least under those names. Do you know where to get them? Are they contained in archives on the development server?

Josh

2003-01-17 17:52
Josh, I suggest you simply tar the Mail and auto directories on the test server (test.spamgourmet.com) and untar them on the destination machine. I now remember that I also had to add a couple of subroutines to get the Mail::Audit package to compile and work.

Sorry about not giving you a heads up on this.
-- Amit

2003-01-17 18:40
Amit,
I should have mentioned that I had already tried tarring the directories, but strangely that didn't work. When I copy/pasted the entire internet.pm from terminal to terminal, that did work, but then I started getting errors in other files, so began looking for alternatives.

I'll keep plugging at it.

BTW - I got a message from abuse at he.net - someone complained to them that "someone used their system to send a virus" - of course, the message originated from somewhere else, and got forwarded to the complainant, who was a spamgourmet user, but I guess he didn't understand. ugh. Hopefully there'll be a happy ending.

FINALLY!
2003-01-28 19:17
got Mail::Audit installed on the production box. I'll start testing and then maybe we can switch to "parallel production" using the chooser script, followed by full production.

I apologize to you both for moving so slowly on everything. I thought I'd be back at it after the holidays, but instead I'm back to 80hr weeks (ugh).

My short term goals are to get the Mail::Audit version into production, begin testing and packaging on the daemon, and get both of them officially released. Maybe we fork into three "editions" or maybe the Mail::Audit release simply versions the current release and we have two.

It would be great to get them into CPAN, too.

BTW - someone wrote this evening and reported that yahoo had banned *all* the published spamgourmet domains from being used in registration. I wasn't able to duplicate it, though.

By: syskoll ( Fred )
RE: FINALLY!
2003-01-28 19:49
Josh,

Let me know if you have any problem running the forwarder and its test daemon. I enclosed a readme explaining how to run a test and what to expect.

Then of course, after this is working on a test machine, we'll have to replace the test daemon with a slightly modified version of spameater.pl and test again.

-- SysKoll

2003-02-13 12:37
Hi guys,

I recently moved and am having trouble getting
phone/internet service in the new apartment. Hence my absence from these forums.

Hopefully, things should sort themselves out in the next couple of weeks.

-- Amit

By: syskoll ( Fred )
2003-02-13 12:52
Amit,

Good luck with your new place. A move is always stressful.

--SysKoll

Return to Developers