Spamgourmet via Docker

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

Spamgourmet via Docker

Postby michaelknight » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi everyone... long time SG user here. I'd like to experiment with hosting my own SG server. After reading the github site (https://github.com/spamgourmet) and going through various searches, there doesn't appear to be a Docker image out there for the SG primary code.

I've managed to get the database and web server components all up and running with SG code. Before I dive into the mail server piece of it, I thought I would check with this group and see if anyone is aware of other activity along these lines? I've seen the SpamgourmetReloaded docker, and I'm not interested in whatever Kotlin is. It's PERL for me!

Anyway... I'm not sure how much of an audience is out there for self-hosters, but I thought I would give it a try. Thank you for reading this!
michaelknight

Re: Spamgourmet via Docker

Postby vasile » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am

I self-host a clone and I would definitely like to see a Docker version of SG, should make deployment much easier.
vasile

Postby no_spam » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:44 am

I would love to have this option, please post any updates here.
// no comment
no_spam

Postby elseesea » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:51 pm

Same here - very interested in this, not just or self hosting, but as a potential backup to spamgourmet.com (if that's even possible) if container is deployed to AWS / Azure?
elseesea

Re: Spamgourmet via Docker - now available for test

Postby michaeldlr » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:10 am

I have managed to build a Docker container based off the spamgourmet clone script but I don't yet have a test environment for it. There is a PR against the main spamgourmet repository and if you pull that then you should just be able to type

Code: Select all
make build-spamgourmet-clone

and it should build the docker image. Currently it's a single monolithic docker container. If it starts getting used I will work on improving that.
michaeldlr

Postby dragonfeather » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:07 pm

michaeldlr wrote:I have managed to build a Docker container based off the spamgourmet clone script but I don't yet have a test environment for it. There is a PR against the main spamgourmet repository and if you pull that then you should just be able to type

Code: Select all
make build-spamgourmet-clone

and it should build the docker image. Currently it's a single monolithic docker container. If it starts getting used I will work on improving that.

That's awesome. I'll try that out in a week or so.
elseesea wrote:Same here - very interested in this, not just or self hosting, but as a potential backup to spamgourmet.com (if that's even possible) if container is deployed to AWS / Azure?

That's not .. trivial. If you used your own domain, you could definitely do that but that's about the only case where it'd work. If you wanted a backup for spamgourmet for all users, the code is the easiest part of the problem. Funding, finding a good host, building good email forwarding reputation, finding a good owner who's willing and capable and trustable to take it up are all much much harder.

Honestly, I'd much prefer a lower quality of service from someone I fully trust like Josiah over a random nobody who provides flawless service.
dragonfeather

Postby michaeldlr » Tue May 31, 2022 1:42 pm

For anyone who is up for investigating Dockerization is merged into the mainline branch of the main spamgourmet repo although that's not yet exactly the code that's currently deployed.
michaeldlr

Return to Developers