Yahoo disservices SG users

General discussion re sg.

Yahoo disservices SG users

Postby jgombos » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:42 am

Yahoo's SMTP servers have started rejecting messages with unverified FROM addresses. So SG users who craft a /from/ address for a particular purpose will have to use a different SMTP server, unless they want to go through all this crap for each message they send:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/o ... om-07.html
jgombos

Re: Yahoo disservices SG users

Postby gourmet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 am

That's a very bad solution. Because millions of users are using unverified addresses. That's going to cause so much trouble that Yahoo has to change their policy. (AFAIK)
gourmet

Postby josh » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:11 pm

gmail does that, too

Yahoo's bad for spamgourmet for other reasons -- if they get too much mail by way of our server (which is not unlikely, since there are a buzillion spamgourmet users with yahoo forwarding addresses), they greylist us, which causes queue backups, which slows down the whole system. Sucks.
josh

Postby gourmet » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:53 am

josh wrote:gmail does that, too

Strange. I use fake addresses all the time and they work perfectly with hotmail and gmail. But I haven't tried Yahoo yet.
Last edited by gourmet on Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gourmet

Postby gourmet » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:11 am

This is going to be a BIG BIG problem in future. There are for sure millions of legimate users using "fake" email addresses.

Like the corporation that I'm working at. We don't have our own outgoing mail SMTP server we only have incoming email smtp server. Which means that all emails sent from this corporation are being sent using "fake" address.

And ISP's own policy is forcing us to do that. Reason is that they're trying to recuse spam qty.

It would require whole new policy to get rid of this problem. Practically it would mean forcing authetication all SMTP sessions.

Currently all Finnish ISP's work using open relay policy. No authentication or verification what so ever is required. (Other than that IP matches ISP's address block)
gourmet

Postby sirstorm » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 am

Gmail and others allow you to "make up" From addresses. I never send from my gmail account address. I have made a SG address of from.20.username@spamgourmet.com and made that my default sender address. Gmail and others do not care if you designate this as your official sender address, just as long as it is a valid address (they do the test email for verifying). I have about 4 SG addresses for this purpose and choose them at will. It works fine and then if someone replies then it still comes through SG.

I do not see a reason for SG to provide SMTP services and such. The only improvement I could ask for is an easier way to manage my mass of accounts with a way to search for accounts getting low on clicks.

As for companies that "block" SG accounts, I dont need them! The only reason they are blocking SG email addresses is 'cause they want to be able to abuse your email. Pure and simple.
sirstorm

Return to General Discussion