Replying to a Message from SG Address

General discussion re sg.

Replying to a Message from SG Address

Postby RJB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:20 pm

Long time listener, first time caller.

I sent a message using a disposable SG address, and received the reply to that address.

I need to reply to that message, but it needs to include the original message and some attachments. I know I can originate a message from the SG website.

I thought that I used to be able to just hit "Reply" in Outlook and it would trick the system into thinking it was coming from the disposable SG address. That doesn't seem to be the case.

How can I do what I'd like to?

Thanks
RJB

Re: Replying to a Message from SG Address

Postby VanguardLH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 pm

You need to go into your SG account and make sure the "reply masking" option is enabled. Then SG will add a Reply-To header so replies you issue from your local e-mail client go back through SG's server so they look like they originated there. If you don't have reply masking enabled, any replies you send to aliased e-mails will go through an account defined in your local e-mail client and that will be one of your true e-mail addresses.

Reply masking won't work with some e-mail providers. Hotmail, for example, doesn't permit the "#" character that SG uses to delineate parts of the left token in the Reply-To e-mail address (see my topic titled "Has reply e-mail address format changed for aliases?" I either had to not use reply masking in SG (which meant my replies revealed a true e-mail address) or use some other e-mail provider that did allow "#" in the left token (username) portion of an e-mail address. Then I stopped getting any SG aliased e-mails to my Hotmail account. So I could not use SG with Hotmail. That isn't the only e-mail provider that doesn't like special characters in the left token (to the left of the "@" character) in an e-mail address. When moving to other e-mail providers to eliminate the problems using SG with my Hotmail account, I found other e-mail providers that wouldn't accept SG's syntax in the Reply-To header.

You give no reasonable details as to what you mean by "That doesn't seem to be the case." No error message, no behavior, or anything to describe what happens when you attempt to reply to an e-mail. Whether attachments and the original body are included depends on your e-mail client. I don't know that SG strips anything from your reply other than to check the body doesn't contain a string with your true e-mail address (the one you registered with your SG account that gets aliased e-mails redirected to it). Since the sender already had the attachments, most e-mail clients won't include them in a reply as it duplicates data the sender already has while needlessly enlarging the size of the reply e-mail. The body of the original e-mail is usually included in a reply unless you configured your e-mail client to not include it.
VanguardLH

Postby RJB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 pm

...Outlook and it would trick the system into thinking it was coming from the disposable SG address. That doesn't seem to be the case.

You give no reasonable details as to what you mean by "That doesn't seem to be the case."

When I hit "reply" or "forward", it composes and sends the email like any other being generated by Outlook... That is, it doesn't appear to be coming from my SG address, but from my 'real' address.

Is the Reply Masking new? This used to work fine - but I think on a different machine.

Also, would the Reply Masking need to have been turned on when the INbound arrived?

Thanks
RJB

Postby VanguardLH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:09 am

Log into your SG account. Make sure the "reply masking" option is enabled. That will have SG add a Reply-To header in the aliased e-mail. The e-mail address in that header points back to SG. When you reply to an aliased e-mail and with reply masking enabled, the Reply-To e-mail address gets used by your reply to send it back through SG.

After you check reply masking is enabled in your SG account, send a test e-mail to an SG alias. When you receive it in your local e-mail client, look at its headers to see what e-mail is specified in the Reply-To header. If that header is there, that's the e-mail address to which you send your reply. It should point back to SG's e-mail server, not to the original sender.
VanguardLH

Return to General Discussion