PTR related outage

Discussion of items in the "What's New" log.

PTR related outage

Postby info » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:24 pm

We had what amounted to an outage over the last couple of days - - our service provider dropped the reverse lookup address for our main IP address, and other servers started rejecting connections from it, which led to a big queue backup and slowdown. They've put it back, and the queue has just been cleared.
info
Site Admin

emails deleted

Postby crusti » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 am

I expected 13 confirmation emails from sites I was working on, each with a unique address pointer on 1 spamgourmet account. I received 4 but my eaten message log shows 3 others were destroyed without being created or passing an email through. I'm fearing that the other 6 might have been eaten without even creating the address pointers.

Any thoughts?

Again, of 14 unique address pointers on 1 account, 4 were created and pass email through, and 3 were found in the eaten message log without even creating the addresses in my address list. 6 are MIA.
crusti

Postby josh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:32 pm

I doubt we lost any mail without a trace over the last week. I didn't delete anything from the queue.
josh

happened before

Postby crusti » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Thank you for the reply. Good to know nothing was deleted.

This phenomenon of having new address pointers appear in the eaten message list (list of 3 last eaten messages) without ever having been created in the address pointer list has happened before. It's been a while since it happened and there was no answer at the time as to how this could have come about.

Also, I created these just last night and this was after you reported having cleared the queue. So these should have been flowing through business as usual.

I think the last time this happened I had to manually create addresses so they would work, but again, details are sketchy on what I did or how it was resolved. Maybe just by magic, I don't know.

In any case 9 of my 14 new address pointers have not been created and 3 of those appear in the eaten message log, so I'll have to go back and get them resent. I'll write another reply if there's a problem receiving the re-sent emails.

Thanks for reading! :)
crusti

Thanks!

Postby 7H0M45 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:32 am

I just want to say thanks for keeping the service running and taking such concern over not loosing queues. Spamgourmet is one of the things that upholds my faith in the internet... however it has worked so well for me over the years that I hardly realize how much I rely on it on a daily basis until there's a hiccup. Keep up the awesome service to humanity!
7H0M45

Return to What's New