Exclusivity granted only to first in the recipient's list?

Use this forum to get help.

Exclusivity granted only to first in the recipient's list?

Postby Atanis » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:36 pm

I receive email from a discussion list and I set the discussion list address as exclusive sender.

I noticed that sometimes a message decremented the counter. I recently compared the header of all received messages to see if I could find under which condition the message passed unrecognised.

It seems to me that if the message is send to multiple recipients and that the exclusive sender address does not appear as first in the recipients list, it is not recognised as "exclusive" and therefore decrement the counter.

Can someone confirm this or should I look further?
Atanis

Postby KhaZ » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:34 pm

I have something similar:

I subscribe to the mono-list (http://www.go-mono.org), and while I can put the 'list' on exclusive sender (mono-list@lists.ximian.com), or even the domain (lists.ximian.com), the counter still gets decremented like nuts.

Why?

Well because they're running mailman, and when someone sends something to the list, they make it look like it came from the sender, but the reply to is sent to the list (which, sadly, isn't marked up so it goes through spamgourmet first). :(

I really love this spamgourmet service, but if I could ask for but two little things, I'd love:

a) That you could say, "Set my counter on this address to infinity". i.e., let me decide when to throw away this address.

and

b) Addresses that come through spamgourmet could have *all* the recipients (even the REPLY-TO header) marked up in the funky "route-through-SpamGourmet-first" style that I love so much. :)

Anyhow, keep up the great job! Thanks so much!!
KhaZ

Postby Atanis » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:57 pm

I think you can give all addresses "exclusivity" by entering (without quotes) ".*" as exclusive sender.
It defeats somehow the protection spamgourmet gives you, but it should fulfil your two wishes.
Atanis

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:37 am

I actually tried that, but no luck. I'm on the mono mailing list, and it's up to 9, already. :(

Even so, having some degree of specificity would be nice: I'd like to say, "On this disposable e-mail account, don't increment the counter", or, "Have this exclusivity list, per disposable e-mail account" etc. etc.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:38 am

Oh; also, I don't think that having the exclusivity list set to *.* would mask the people in the RETURN_TO header or whatever, to be spamgourmet-armored... I think that's just not in the code, as of yet?

Postby SysKoll » Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:48 pm

In order to avoid your counter to be decremented, put just a dot (.) as the exclusive sender for the address.

Make sure to enter the dot as the exclusive sender for the address and not as trusted sender for the account. Different purposes.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Postby Atanis » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:59 am

:arrow: To come back on topic, can someone confirm that if the message is send to multiple recipients and the exclusive sender address does not appear as first in the recipients list, it is not recognised as "exclusive" ?

Giving exclusivity to all senders is, in this case, a very poor workaround. Is there another solution?
Atanis

Postby SysKoll » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:26 pm

Unfortunately, there are no invariants regarding messages sent and answered through a mailing list. In the absence of guaranteed, unique header fields, there is very little we can do.
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...