So slow - gonna cry

Use this forum to get help.

So slow - gonna cry

Postby End User » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 pm

Today several (all) emails through spamgourmet are not coming through at least up until now. It has been more than one hour since I have been expecting some mail.

As a test I emailed myself directly and that email has not appeared after 90 minutes either. The only explanation I can think of is that the speed of light must have slowed a little.

Anyone else having the slows today too? Why would things be moving so slowly (if they end up finally reaching me ever)?
End User

Re: So slow - gonna cry

Postby scribbly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Yep :(

PM'd sys just in case it was my account...
scribbly

Postby End User » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:32 am

Hello...anyone home?

It has been now over 7 hours and still the mail has not gone through! At the minimum I sent a test email to one of my addresses (over 7 hours ago) and still do not see it! I am certain at least a few other emails were sent to me I have yet to receive and they are such that (Standby for Lawyer-speak) TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE.

I also just now sent an email to my real address without using any spamgourmet address just to prove it is receiving email properly. It is and the email was received within one second of me sending it so it is not my email provider.

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! Something is broken!
End User

Postby adb » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 am

Now I'm waiting too for mails. Several test mails faild.

My last mail via spamgourmet: 20:01 CEST
adb

Postby scribbly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:51 am

End User wrote:Hello...anyone home?

I am... but I don't count :)
End User wrote:I also just now sent an email to my real address without using any spamgourmet address just to prove it is receiving email properly. It is and the email was received within one second of me sending it so it is not my email provider.

Funny: I did exactly the same thing... with the same result.
scribbly

Postby josh » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 pm

something is definitely broken - I'm looking into it. There was a major update to the exim mail server (which initially accepts mail for the server) recently and I had to re-implement it a little. That worked fine.

I continued to work on the config to attempt to resolve the complaints I was getting about the server rejecting some senders with misconfigured DNS, and likely I messed it up last night (and went to bed) - this morning (US time) the server was basically rejecting everything on a temporary basis.

I just rolled back to a previous config, and things appear to be working, but of course all that temporarily rejected mail is coming in, so it's going to need a few hours to catch back up. Expect to see delayed messages coming through.

I think at least for the near term, people who are worried about receiving mail from misconfigured servers are going to have to do something else :)

edit: on further investigation, it looks like that major update deprecated the approach that I was trying to use to whitelist some broken servers - perhaps that explains it.

editedit: unlike many free services "you" are not the product - but sometimes your patience is the product (or at least it's the price). I appreciate it.
josh

Postby scribbly » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Yay!! First missing one's just come through :)

josh wrote:editedit: unlike many free services "you" are not the product - but sometimes your patience is the product (or at least it's the price). I appreciate it.

We all probably need more patience, and I'm willing to pay the price :) Thanks for your efforts!
scribbly

Postby End User » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:11 pm

It seems that all expected (but who knows?) emails were finally delivered including the two test emails that were sent. In the case of one email it was received just over 25 hours after it was sent. Thank you for looking into this, Josh.

One of the expected emails was for a job interview and timing was crucial.
End User

Return to Support / Hilfe / ayuda / ondersteuning / ...