SOAP

Discussion re sg development. You don't have to be a developer.

SOAP

Postby josh » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:19 am

I've been studying SOAP::Lite and the related server classes as a way to expose a couple of methods for spamgourmet via SOAP - this would make things like a firefox plugin easier, and also get us going toward a rework of the website into AJAX.

Any opinions on how to set up the server side, as long as they involve Apache and Perl? SSL and cookie based security are probably also requirements (although I could rework the security if there was a really good reason).

I sort of got a bug in my ear recently when I noticed that GMail remapped the mailto: link in firefox so that it would be the default MUA (after it asked politely, of course). That made me think that maybe we could intercept the mailto link and reach out to a spamgourmet SOAP method to transparently grab a redirection address, and then supply the redirection address to the MUA instead.

Frankly, I haven't seen a huge value in a firefox plugin, because I'm one of those users who don't visit the website very often, and so don't feel like I need much of any user interface. But... I've been sending a bunch of cranky emails recently, and each was preceded by a visit to the website, which was kind of a pain. I think I'd really like the transparent imposition of a redirection address on a mailto: link -- the plugin (or the SOAP method) would have to be smart enough to automatically create a new address or use an existing one (refilling it) depending on the circumstances, but that doesn't seem like a big deal. Maybe other people could start adding more features to the plugin if they want them :) -- I promise to add the corresponding SOAP methods.
josh

Postby josh » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Any comments? I'm about to go on a small trip-less vacation, starting tomorrow, and I should be able to hammer out some code. I suppose it won't be the end of the world if I choose a suboptimal server package, since it shouldn't be too hard to switch, but if we get it right the first time, there'll be a lot more opportunity to add functionality.
josh

Postby josh » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 pm

My home test server bit the bullet right before the vacation started, and so I spent much of the time rebuilding it and also doing "honey-dos" around the house, rather than coding. I did manage to get the server built back with the SOAP::Lite package, and got the simple example back up.

Next comes cookie auth, and then I should be able to plug in the sg modules and get started.

Last call for a different SOAP toolkit...
josh

Postby SysKoll » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:49 pm

SOAP::Lite is fine, if it fits the needs here, go for it!
-- SysKoll
SysKoll

Return to Developers